In this guide, we’ll show you how to scan documents on the Canon MX492 printer. Canon PIXMA MX492 is an all-in-one wireless Inkjet printer that boasts a list of impressive features. The ability to wirelessly print your documents, and photos from anywhere around the connectivity range, Scan to Cloud, mobile printing options like AirPrint, and Google Cloud Print, the compact form factor, and its budget-friendly price make this printer one of the best choices for many people.
However, with all the goodies attached, there is one pivotal feature of this printer that does not seem to be working for many people ─ Scan. Many users have voiced their frustration that they are unable to scan on their MX492. So, if you are in the same boat and also getting bugged with this issue, this guide will show you the steps to successfully scan multiple or single documents or photos using the Canon MX492. Follow along.
Step 1: Connect the printer to your wireless network
First of all, you need to ensure that the printer is connected to your wireless network. You can connect wirelessly to your network right from the printer’s display panel. If you don’t know how it’s done, follow the steps below to connect your printer to a wireless network directly from the printer display panel.
- To begin with, press the setup button on the printer display.
- From the setup menu, use the left and right arrows to select Wireless LAN setup and Press OK.
- Now the printer will search for an access point (wireless router). Press the Stop button on the printer If a message tells you to press the WPS button on the access point.
- Select Standard setup with the left or right arrows once the search is finished.
- Press OK.
- Now the printer will again search for wireless routers. Use the left or right arrows to choose the wireless network you want to connect to.
- Press the OK button twice.
- If your Wifi has a password, you will be prompted to enter it. Use the numeric keypad to do so. (Scroll below to see how to enter a password)
- After you successfully entered the password, press OK. Now the printer will connect to the wireless network.
- If the below message appears, press OK to finally complete the setup.
Note: To the right of the ‘Enter passphrase’ dialogue, you will see :a which indicates the numeric keypad will show lowercase letters when the letter :a is displayed on the screen. To enter uppercase letters, press the asterisk key once, :A will appear to the right of ‘Enter passphrase’. To enter symbols, press the pound key repeatedly until the desired symbol appears on the screen. And to delete a character, press the left or right arrows to move the cursor under the character to be deleted. Then press the back key to delete the character.
Step 2: Download recommended Driver & Software Package
After the printer is connected to the same wireless network, you have to download and install the required drivers and software in order to scan any documents from your computer. To do so, just follow these steps.
- Click here to head over to the Drivers and Downloads page for the PIXMA MX492.
- It’ll automatically detect your operating system and give you the driver and software accordingly. However, check the “Operating System” field to ensure that the operating system detected is correct. If your Operating System (OS) does not display, please select from the drop-down list below, to access available drivers, software, firmware, and utilities.
- Finally, download the ‘Full Driver & Software Package’ and install it on your PC.
Final Step: Scan on Canon MX492
After installing the required driver and software packages on your PC, you can scan documents, and photos using the IJ Scan Utility software. IJ Scan Utility is an application that allows you to easily scans documents, photos, etc. Follow the steps to perform scanning from a computer using this tool.
- Start IJ Scan Utility. Windows 8/8.1/10/11 users: search for “IJ Scan Utility” and open the tool. Windows 7/ Windows XP: from the Start menu, select All Programs > Canon Utilities > IJ Scan Utility > IJ Scan Utility. Mac users go to the Go menu of Finder, select Applications, then double-click the Canon Utilities folder > IJ Scan Utility > Canon IJ Scan Utility icon to start the IJ Scan Utility.
- Make sure your printer is turned on.
- Place document or photo on the platen glass or in the ADF. (Note: To scan two or more sheets of documents of the same size and thickness load the documents in the ADF. Otherwise, to scan photos or documents or books at optimum quality, load it on the platen glass.)
- Upon opening the Canon IJ Scan Utility, you’ll see different scanning options as following
- Auto – Auto-detect documents on platen or document feeder and scan.
- Photo – Scan photos placed on the platen.
- Documents – Scan a document placed on the platen.
- Custom – Scan with settings configured under Settings…
- Stitch – Scan multiple pages and combine them together to make one image.
For most cases, you can scan by simply choosing the ‘Auto’ option, otherwise choose ‘Document’ to sharpen text in a document or magazine for better readability, or if you’re scanning photos then chose the ‘Photo’ option.
After the scan is completed, scanned images are automatically saved in the default folder which is either the Documents or My Documents folder on your PC. You can always change the folder as required.
How to scan with Canon MX492 to Mac
If you’re a Mac user, here is a video demonstrating how you can scan photos or documents with the Canon MX492 to your Mac.
On that note, we round off this guide on how to Scan on Canon MX492 without problems. We have listed the steps by step guide for the same. Do let us know whether you’ve successfully scanned your documents or not. Likewise, all your queries are welcomed in the comments section below.